Sunday 28 October 2012

Harry Potter Task Evaluation



I didn't use many sounds or music in the title sequence, as I did not think it was necessary to over do it. The type of sounds that I mainly used were ambient, slightly droning sounds to set the scene for later on in the extract. There is also a sound bridge to connect the title sequence to the first scene.

The sounds that I used could have been more suited to the sequence, and perhaps more prevalent, so overall, out of 10 I would give this sequence a 4.

I thought that the playground scene was quite effective. I used some oriental music before it to keep the sound parallel to the scene, and to slightly confuse the audience, as the music and scenes that come up next are fairly brutal. However, to contrast this, I used some comical action sounds as a build-up to the main event of the scene - the thunder storm. I scored this sequence an 8 out of 10.


For the Dementors scene I used some sounds from a fairground environment right before the Dementors appear, as they sound fairly peaceful, and as if everything is going to be alright, however this is contrapuntal, as the viewer can see a dingy, dimly lit underpass. The music then quickly changed to a metal style electric guitar solo. By doing this, I aimed to lure the audience into a false sense of security. After harry had sent the Dementors quivering in their tracks, I chose some heroic styled music to emphasise the sense of good defeating evil. Overall, this scene received an 8 out of 10 from me.

To sum the extract up, I feel I did a pretty good job at choosing the right types of sounds and music to suit the scenes (parallel) or upset the balance (contrapuntal). the transitions between sounds and scenes could however be improved a touch. So to asses the soundtrack for the whole sequence, I gave it a 6 out of 10, as I mentioned before, there are still some improvements to be made.


No comments:

Post a Comment